#SafeAtHome | Baking Banana bread with @arangoirene, Irene Arango
Irene is a lifestyle blogger and plant-based chef. Originally from Spain, Irene grew up in Argentina before moving to London 12 years ago. Mum to Ariana and Oliver, Irene runs a vegan restaurant in London called NAMA.
Making banana bread has become one of the most popular baking passtimes during the lockdown - it's relatively easy to find the ingredients, it's super-simple to make and it's wholesome and nourishing which brings comfort.
With so many different banana recipes available, we asked Irene to share her go-to recipe in a Childrensalon Instagram takeover.
"This is an easy vegan banana bread recipe that I make regularly at home. My children and their friends love it! It is also a practical recipe as you can use different flours with an identical tasty result. One thing I really like about making banana bread is that it's virtually mess free - only one bowl needs to get dirty."
Follow Irene | Instagram | NAMA
All images by @arangoirene
- You will need -
- 4 large bananas (or 5 small ones)
- 60ml (1/4 cup) plant milk of choice
- 60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil (my favourite is rapeseed, but any work as long as
they are mild flavoured, so don't use olive oil!)
- 60ml (1/4 cup) unrefined caster sugar
- 260g (2 cups) of flour - self raising, buckwheat or spelt flours all work well.
Use buckwheat for a gluten free option
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (omit if using self raising flour)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 65g (1/2 cup) vegan chocolate chips or chopped pecans
* Irene uses all vegan ingredients but you can easily subsitute any ingredient for non-vegan alternatives.
- How to make your banana bread -
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F). In a bowl, mash the bananas.
- Add the sugar, plant milk, oil, salt, cinnamon, vanilla and bicarbonate of soda (if needed) and mix.
- Add the flour slowly to incorporate but avoid over mixing. At this stage you can add your chocolate chips or nuts.
- Pour the batter into a mould that you previously covered with greaseproof paper.
- Place the banana bread in the middle of the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Cover the banana bread with foil and cook for a further 15 minutes. This is to prevent the banana bread from getting too brown on the top and under cooked in the middle.
- Let it cool down a bit before removing it from the mould and slicing. It tastes even better the next day, toasted and with some coconut oil or vegan butter spread on top.
If you liked Irene's banana bread, try her healthy chickpea muffin recipe
Was halten Sie von diesem Artikel?